Monday, June 2, 2008

The Horrors of Herod

In church we've been working our way through the book of Matthew. Yesterday Steven preached a message on Herod the Great (chapter 2). I had never realized just how horrible this man was. It seems as if the "Massacre of the Innocents" is never expounded upon, or just quickly read over and forgotten. Herod killed every male baby under the age of two in the entire city of Bethlehem. I wonder what the men were thinking when they were ordered to carry this out. Were they fathers themselves? Did the children struggle? Did they laugh? What kind of insanity would provoke a man to these lengths?

Other things I didn't know about Herod: he killed two of his own children, his favorite wife (for cheating, of which she was innocent), his eighty-year old uncle (who had previously saved Herod's life), his brother-in-law (because the Jews liked him better than Herod), and another brother-in-law for conspiracy. I'm sure there are more.

Supposedly he died a horrible long and painful death. I don't believe in karma, but I do believe that vengeance belongs to God. God used extraordinary means to protect Jesus and His family. Thank God Joseph was faithful to obey!

3 comments:

Ice Cream said...

The bible has some of the most horrific stories ever. I think they are there to remind us just how awful man can be when he chooses to ignore God. Scary stuff.

Janet said...

It has always fascinated how people in power so eagerly abuse it, knowing (or thinking) they will get away with it. I always feel better knowing that eventually God will get them.

BTW, I was going to email this question because I feel like an idiot, but have you commented before today and I jsut haven't noticed it? I usually try to get to new readers right away, but I was very startled to click on your name and find my blog on your blogroll! (Flattered, but startled.) Forgive me if I just haven't been paying attention. (And out of curiosity, how did you find me? I am originally from Tennessee, so I was intrigued by your location. And Professional Pee-On is hysterical.)

Scribbit said...

Have you read The Best Christmas Pagaent Ever? They talk about the injustice of it and you're completely right. Nasty nasty stuff.