Saturday, November 1, 2008

Killing Time

When I'm not exercising with the Wii Fit (ever after known as "fitzercising" in my home, and by the way, I've lost three pounds), I love to watch movies. Lately I've been into movies that are decent, have a good message, and don't make me vomit from an overdose of corn. Without further ado (okay, maybe just a little more ado), here they are, in no particular order:

Pete's Dragon. Especially for this guy. I love the song about what he plans to do with all of Elliot's body parts after they kill the dragon. Oh wait, maybe this one's not so kid friendly.

And PLUS I just found out one of the hillbilly brothers is Kenickie from Grease!!! That's right, folks, if Elliot is lucky he'll get a hickey from Kenickie. Because a hickey from Kenickie's like a Hallmark card. AND it's got Red Buttons and Mickey Rooney who's always drunk!

Pollyanna. Because this one made my dad cry. He's been so insistent that I see it that I'm sure I'll find a copy in my Christmas stocking this year.

Well Dad, I watched it this week and even Steve was sucked in by Pollyanna's charms. I've found myself playing the "glad game" this week at work and I actually don't want to rip the heads off my boss and coworkers! (Well, not as much, at least.) Okay, I've never actually wanted to rip anyone's head off. Maybe just pull on it a little.

The Parent Trap. But not the crappity remakes. There's just something about Hayley Mills. This one's got Hayley Mills TWICE! In case you haven't seen it, there's a part when one Hayley Mills plays a prank on the other Hayley Mills by cutting off the back of her dress. Ever since seeing this as a kid, I just know someone's standing behind me waiting to disfigure my clothing (especially at church, I mean, gosh, those senior citizens are so devious). No really, I'm paranoid about this. Yet another reason that I'm weird, I guess.

Freaky Friday. But NOT the remake! The older version's got Jodie Foster in it, and who doesn't love Jodie Foster?

The idea of changing bodies with someone so you can see how they live is kind of intriguing, right? Though in my case I may not want to give trade back, especially if you morph into, I don't know, Oprah.

Really though, this is a great movie and Jodie Foster eats ice cream for breakfast EVERY DAY.

The Emperor's New Groove. Everybody, this is Yzma. Yzma, meet everybody. She's voiced by Eartha Kitt. She is devious (Yzma, not Ms. Kitt) and hilarious and with Kronk (her assistant/boy toy) they steal the show, in my not so humble opinion. Squeak squeakins squeak squeekers. (That's 'watch this movie, it's really great' in chipmunk language.)

Oh, and David Spade and John Goodman and Wendie Malick, too. I'm just realizing how many of my everyday expressions come from this movie. Man, I really need to get a life.

Singin' in the Rain. Alright, have you SEEN Gene Kelly? There is a reason that I watched this every single day for a few childhood years, and it wasn't the snappy dialogue (well, okay, I love the snappy dialogue). But Gene Kelly, people! He was awesome! Happy memories = Singin' in the Rain + mac n'cheese.

Let's see, good lines. Ooh, how bout "I can't make love to a bush!" from Lena Lamont or "I can't stand him." also from her or the whole Moses supposes his toeses are roses song. Ah, good times.

James and the Giant Peach. Because Roald Dahl is the man. Everything he wrote is worth reading, and this adaptation of his book is very well done. It's produced by Tim Burton and is made in his signature style (like Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas). It's funny and good and not sickeningly sweet like a lot of kid's movies are.

I say all this to get you to join Swap A DVD. Well, actually, I really wanted to post this blog, but what a great commercial for DVD swapping! Click to swap DVDs for freeeeee!

8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Pete's Dragon: I remember seeing it in the theatre when the oldest one was young. A fine flick.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh these bring back memories! I will never understand why they think it's alright to remake a classic ans smut it up-- that's what happened to most of the remakes, I completely agree with Gene Kelly-- wow, if my husband could dance like that I'd have to call him perfect. :-)

Carina said...

Singin' in the rain is my all time favorite movie. I had it memorized in high school. Love that Gene Kelly!

Janet said...

Pete's Dragon and Singin' in the Rain are two of our favorites. The kids will sit through ALL of Singin' in the Rain. Their favorite part is Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh."
I loved Pollyanna, Parent Trap and Freaky Friday (yes, the originals), but we don't have them. They've seen Parent Trap before but since we came upon it about halfway through they didn't much get into it.
I LOVED Emperor's New Groove, but haven't got it yet for the kids.
I'm waiting on James and the Giant Peach. I haven't even got them the book yet because that movie scared the bejeepers out of me and I was grown when I saw it! They love musicals - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Jim Dale has won Grammys for his narration of the Harry Potter books on tape. You really do think there are several people doing the voices.

Sherrie said...

Hi Sarah,
I have an award for you. Come by my blog and pick it up. You can go here:
SHERRIE'S STUFF

Sherrie

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Ah...James and the Giant Peach is one of my favorites. I used to read Dahl's books to my 3rd graders. They're classics! Congrats on the 3 lbs!! You go girl!!

Suldog said...

Singin' In The Rain! Not only Gene Kelly, but the amazing "Make 'em Laugh" dance with Donald O'Connor! Great stuff!

BTW - My word verification is "HADES". I'm worried.

Ice Cream said...

Love them all, except James and the Giant Peach. I used to love it but then I found the audio book and that has put the movie to shame.