Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Best Leading Men

Here are the world's best actors. In my opinion, which is the only one that counts. Is it strange that only one of these men is still alive? Nope. Acting today is not what it used to be. Why, back in my day, we used to walk to school twenty miles in the snow. We didn't even have any shoes so we tied bread to our feet! And actors could ACT, dang it!

Rock Hudson - lady-lover or not, he's the eye candy of the bunch. Watching he and Doris Day and their playful banter can keep me occupied for hours at a time.






Adrian Brody - especially in "The Pianist" which is my favorite movie of the moment. A good bit of the movie is without dialog as Brody as Szpilman spends his time hiding from the Nazis, but the movie and the music and the story is just absolutely beautiful.





Gene Kelly - absolutely THE MAN. He could dance, sing, act and look beautiful while doing it. My personal favorite part? The part when Moses supposes his toeses are roses. Also, any time Gene Kelly pushes his hat down on his head at a dangerous angle you know he's getting ready to do something amazing.





Gregory Peck - Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn is great, but To Kill a Mockingbird is what sealed it for me. He is totally believable as Atticus Finch and has the best line in the movie, "If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

Cary Grant - so very versatile.
In "Father Goose": after Cary Grant's character, Walter Eckland has sucked poison out of a snake bite on Catherine's leg (and she's a little tipsy):
Catherine Freneau: Tell me, I would like to know - what did my blood taste like?
Walter Eckland: Delicious. Now come on.
[he tries to take her coconut full of whiskey]
Catherine Freneau: No, no, no, I'm serious. What did it taste like?
Walter Eckland: Well how would I know? I'm not a vampire,
Catherine Freneau: Um, was it salty?
Walter Eckland: Mmm, a little salty, yes.
Catherine Freneau: Too salty?
Walter Eckland: No, it was just right.
Catherine Freneau: Oh, no! You thought it was too salty, I can tell! You didn't like it!
[she seems on the verge of crying]
Walter Eckland: I liked it!
Catherine Freneau: Oh, really?
Walter Eckland: Uh-huh, I liked it!
Catherine Freneau: You're not just saying that?
Walter Eckland: Great blood!

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I would agree with your list, but I would have to add Redford and Newman. I also loved Cary Grant's exchange with Jimmy Stewart in The Philadelphia Story when a drunken Mike goes to C. F. Dexter (forgot the last name)'s house. I would quote it, but I would also get it wrong. GREAT movie.

Ice Cream said...

If you like Peck, you need to find and watch Gentleman's Agreement. VERY good Peck.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039416/

Ice Cream said...

Ooo, and I agree with Janet. Philidelphia Story is my all time fav.