Thursday, June 19, 2008

House Next Door: Part 2

I finished The House Next Door and I'm on to The Ruins by Scott Smith. I hear this one has talking plants! Woohoo!

The House Next Door is not a traditional scary book, but there were a few more of those ohmygoodness moments. If you're worried about goriness, there's one part that made me cringe a little, but nothing on the level of Stephen King or Dean Koontz.

(A little aside here: If you're wondering what it would be like to rip someones testicles completely off their body, Stephen King offers a great description in Black House. Just in case you're interested.)

The ending was a little disappointing, but only because I like to end books with the plot neatly tied up in a little bundle with no annoying loose strings poking out.

All in all, it was very well written with believable, well-developed characters. I'm on the hunt for more books by Anne Rivers Siddons.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Excellent. Thanks for the review. I can deal with a bit of goriness (even "cozy" mysteries have murder involved after all). Just not, as you say, King or Koontz levels.

Janet said...

Oh, by the way, I tagged you for a meme. If you don't want to do it, feel free to decline, but given what you're reading lately, it could be interesting!

Janet said...

How are you liking The Ruins? I read it when I was in Cozumel on vacation LMAO!