Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mmm, strawberries


I had some strawberries left over from a treat I baked for the church and dehydrated them, thinking they'd make a good, healthy snack. They sat. And sat some more. (While I devoured bag after bag of chocolate covered pretzels, thanks a lot, Steve.) Finally, not wanting to throw out perfectly good strawberries (that cost quite a bit, I might add) I went surfing for a good strawberry muffin recipe. I also wanted to try out my new Wilton jumbo muffin tin.

So here, without further ado, is the recipe for delicious strawberry muffins courtesy of about.com (with just a few tweaks)

2 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar, divided
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted, cooled butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp strawberry extract
1 cup dehydrated strawberries, chopped (or fresh, if you like)
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12-cup muffin pan. Combine dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup sugar with a wire whisk. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients, egg, oil and extract. Add strawberries. Combine wet and dry ingredients only until moistened. Spoon batter* into muffin cups. Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

***If you're using dehydrated strawberries, you'll want to let them sit in with the liquid ingredients for a minute or two.

*For huge muffins only fill 6 to 7 muffin cups.
For large muffins fill only 9 muffin cups.
For regular to small muffins fill all 12 cups.
Please be sure to half-fill empty muffin cups with water to ensure even baking.


I let these cool in the tin for about a minute and then turned them out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Mr. Brown says it's best to let muffins cool upside-down to prevent them from losing their high crowns.


I love my muffin tin! I try to use Wilton pans whenever possible. Even with me and my messiness, the muffins slid right out without any cursing or crying on my part.

And they taste pretty darn delicious, too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yum! Sounds good! I've been printing all kinds of recipes from the internet and try new meals, and happy fun in the meantime. What a wonderful experience. And now, I will add these muffins to my experience :) Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

update on this:
my husband said these muffins are as good as Starbucks!

I think that's the best compliment I've ever gotten from him!

(that makes him a bit of a dirtbag, doesn't it?)

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Thanks for leaving this link on my discussion thread at paperbackswap.com

Im going to try these muffins..
( I also like the large muffin tins..thanks for all of the great tips with your recipe!)

Melissa