Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sick Day?

I would rather be dead than go to work. If I wake up one morning, dead, my first thought will be, "woohoo, no work today!"

In the spirit of healthy meals, I was preparing a marinade for Slow-Cooked Salmon last night. One of the ingredients is lime juice, so I spent a good amount of time squeezing the limes, added the other ingredients, and went to bed. Before bed though, I had to remove my contacts, right? You can see where this is going. Me, in my seemingly infinite wisdom, stuck my finger RIGHT IN MY EYE and slathered lime juice all over it. "Hmm, feels a little weird," I thought. And then I stuck my finger in my other eye. You see, it didn't hurt at first. Yes, folks, the pain comes later. I went to bed with eyes red and weepy. My first thought? "Hmm, maybe I can fake a case of pink eye and skip work tomorrow! Sweet!"

But alas, it was not to be. My darn morals always get in the way! Ask me about soul competency.

Slow-Cooked Salmon

2 salmon steaks
1 lime
1 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp white pepper

Place salmon in a ziplock bag. Squeeze lime juice over salmon. WASH YOUR HANDS! Combine other ingredients in a bowl and then sprinkle over salmon. Remove air from bag, seal and roll into a bundle. Refrigerate overnight, or up to 48 hours.

Thirty minutes before cooking, put 2 tbsp olive oil in the crockpot, set to high and cover. Allow to preheat for 30 minutes.

Use a damp paper towel to gently remove the seasonings. Place salmon in single layer in crockpot, cover, and cook for 90 minutes.

EAT!

5 comments:

carrhop said...

We adore salmon, but I've never prepared it this way--gonna have to give this a try! And, of course, the cautionary tale is appreciated....don't put my lime-coated finger in my eye, don't put my lime-coated finger in my eye...

Thanks so much for your good wishes for 7 of 8. She's such a joy and we are very thankful for yesterday's information--
Blessings!

Suldog said...

"I would rather be dead than go to work."

And this makes you unusual how...?

Anonymous said...

Came over from my good friend Octamom. I love you site and your posts. I will have to try Salmon that way, we love salmon. Also, I too am a preacher's wife, have been for many moons! Your posts have made me laugh! Cannot wait to come back and read more.

Anvilcloud said...

We all like a day off, but I'll have to pass on the salmon. Except for fish and chips, or tuna from a can, I pretty well avoid fish. Weird, I know.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Lovely recipe. Will have to do this, except for the finger-in-the-eyes part, of course. ;-)