Monday, March 30, 2009

Look What I Found!

Penzeys! Spices! Fresh ones!

Snooping through their catalog, I happened upon this recipe:

Apple Pancakes
1⁄4 c butter, divided
4 eggs
1⁄4 tsp vanilla
3⁄4 c all-purpose flour
3⁄4 c milk
1⁄2 tsp salt
2 medium baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp cinnamon sugar, divided

Preheat oven to 400°. Divide butter evenly between two 9-inch pie plates and put them in the oven to melt the butter. Rotate the pie plates until the butter coats the bottom and the sides. To make dividing the ingredients between the two plates easier, we used a 4-Cup measuring cup as our mixing bowl.
Beat eggs, vanilla, flour, milk, and salt on medium speed for 1 minute. Toss the sliced apples with 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar. Arrange 1⁄2 of the apple slices in each pan so they cover the bottom in pretty much a single layer. Pour 1⁄2 the egg mixture over the apple slices in each pan. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar over the
batter in each pan. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve right away, while still puffy, with warm syrup.

These were more French toast-like than pancake-y. Very tasty, though. The only thing I would do differently is grease and flour the pie pans instead of using just butter. These suckers were hard to get to get loose!

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I love pancakes. I truly do. I would marry pancakes if I wasn't already hitched.

Janet said...

I learned the hard way to always grease and flour the pan. These look yummy.