Friday, July 11, 2008

Grunt, grunt, grunt.

A Cure for Homesickness?

Ok, so there's no cure other than actually going home.

But this is a good way to forget for a minute or two.

My mom has a thing for black - berries. I took my parents to the Farmer's Market when they were visiting and we came home with a bunch. When they took off, they left them behind. Heh heh.

Without further ado, here is Mr. Brown's recipe for a traditional Blackberry Grunt:


(6-8 servings. Or one, if you're me)

1 c water
1 c sugar
4 c black - berries
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
1 c buttermilk, chilled

Preheat oven to 400.

Place water, sugar, black - berries and ginger in a Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes.

Put dry ingredients in food processor and pulse a few times. Add butter and pulse until crumbly. Make a well in the mixture and add the buttermilk. Stir a few times to combine.

Drop batter by tablespoon - fuls on berry mixture.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Brush top with butter and return to oven. Broil two minutes or until top is golden brown and delicious.

Restrain yourself from diving in until ten minutes passes and the grunt can rest. I mean, come on, it has had quite a day. :)

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Looks delicious! I've never had the pleasure of consuming one. I'll have to try it.

Janet said...

Come visit us and you can pick the blackberries right off the vine. It's difficult for us to save back enough for a cobbler at the rate the Queen and DeBoy eat them.

Ice Cream said...

I agree, the only way to cure homesickness is to go home. So I'm going... =)

Love the blackberries around here!