Thursday, May 28, 2015

But God

I have a coworker whose favorite phrase is "but God."
Basically, God's plan prevails despite ourselves or the plans of our enemies.
The devil meant this to harm me but God.
I could have died on the way to work today but God.

I'm stealing it for my own today and I can't wait to fill in my own blank.

The doctor said my daughter would never survive outside my body but God.
They said she couldn't live but God.
They said I should end her life and "try again" but God.

Here's the source (emphasis mine):

Ephesians 2: 1-10 (HCSB)

And you were dead in your trespasses and sins in which you previously walked according to the ways of this world, according to the ruler who exercises authority over the lower heavens, the spirit now working in the disobedient.  We too all previously lived among them in our fleshly desires, carrying out the inclinations of our flesh and thoughts, and we were by nature children under wrath as the others were also.  BUT GOD, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace!  Together with Christ Jesus He also raised us up and seated us in the heavens,  so that in the coming ages He might display the immeasurable riches of His grace through His kindness to us in Christ Jesus.  For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift—  not from works, so that no one can boast.  For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them.

We were sin-sick and without hope BUT GOD made a way for us to get to Heaven.  What a thought.